Monday, June 13, 2011

Running with the Horses...

I did it! Only a few weeks after hitting my running stride (4.1 miles around the "block"), my brother twisted my arm into running a 5k this past weekend.  It was at Balmoral Park, a horse track I remember visiting once or twice as a kid... so kind of a fun place to kick off my first race.

I knew I could do it, but still nervous to be trying something new nonetheless!  Turned out to be a big family event with Rebecca, and Hannah too.  Good time, even though I had to take a walking break after mile 2 to recover from a side cramp, and lesson learned - no chatting along the way, this isn't a social sport ;) ! My time suffered from maybe a mix of things that made me lose concentration - but now I know to do better for the next race.


The race route actually took us around and then on to the horse track with a finish right in front of the grandstands.  Ed was there take pictures while my mom was off watching the kiddos. I'm still a slow poke, but not too bad considering I just caught my real stride only a few weeks back. It can only get better from here. 


Popcorn Fest 5k, here I come!  Although they all think I'm ready for a mini marathon, I think I'll stick with my 5k for a bit.

1 comment:

  1. okay... first... you look AMAZING. a-maz-ing. seriously!

    and then onto other stuff... i'm on week 3 of couch to 5k and hoping to do a 5k at the end of the summer. we shall see. congrats and kudos to you on your first!

    ReplyDelete