Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Just Picked


as far as favorite foods of all time, Strawberries are right up on my list.  Lots of great memories of my grandma bringing me strawberries because I'd always tell her they are my favorite food.  And I think the still kinda are ;) Especially, local. homegrown. just picked today. perfect. little. red. mmmm.

I wasn't expecting the sign to be up, but as I drove past our local farm stand today, their "Fresh Picked" strawberry sign was out and I made a U turn to get back there for our first buckets of the year.  YES, buckets.  I buy by the bucket full, and that's still not enough. 


This year, I have a plan.  These little berries are so sweet and so juicy, they don't last long... so preservation is the key.  The first bucket is going right into our mouths, but the second bucket is getting hulled, sliced, and frozen for year round strawberry love.  We're big oatmeal eaters and have been adding store bought frozen, which is lightyears behind the flavor of these.  And jam.  Jam here we come... OH and ice cream.  My new ice cream maker should be here tomorrow.  I bet by the weekend I'll be sharing my ice cream success stories, or so I hope.

I considered not sharing. Kidding! sorta.




Luckily my dad drives right past the farm stand every day, I'm going to need a few more buckets I think.




No comments:

Post a Comment