Tuesday, October 14, 2008

Regarding Sleep...


I'd like to say a few things. I've never been so happy to be awoken in the middle of the night, than I am to soothe Josie. But there's no doubt it is a definite change in my entire balance and my ideals of what a good nights rest consists of. I feel like I could write a book about the things "no one told me" before baby arrived... and raking high on that list is what it's like to get up after only one-two hours of sleep, after an already long day - and struggling to keep my eyes open and the bottle in her mouth at the same time! It's been a challenge.
_
My other question would be, what did humankind do before the invention of the baby swing? I try and try, over and over again, with marginal levels of success to put Joselyn down in the bassinet to sleep at night. But try as I might, last night was a no go on sleeping in the bassinet. Last night, like most nights, I put her down for what I consider her first "down for the night" at 10pm and she rested peacefully in the bassinet until 12. Usually she lasts longer, more like one, but 12 it was. Normal routine of diaper and bottle, quietness, darkness... and she'd usually go right back down. After several attempts of picking her back up, rocking, soothing, soothies, butt patting... just when I'm CERTAIN she's out cold, and even giving it a few extra minutes for good measure and place her back down, alas, no luck and eyes are open. I do the whole hand on her, holding her hands, patting her belly/back, rocking etc... at least three rounds before I couldn't do it any longer and into the swing she went, slept peacefully until we did that whole routine again at 5 am, with me crashed on the couch in the mean time. Swing, priceless.

1 comment:

  1. Oh...I feel your pain....we have all been there. Thank goodness for swings!

    ReplyDelete