Tuesday, May 14, 2013

the garden: 2013

Every Fall I fill my garden beds with tulip bulbs for cuttings.  It's a thrill each year to cut and bring in armfulls of tulips.  When they're all cut and spent (100+), I pull the bulbs out of my beds (and put away in dry storage) to ready the raised beds for the main event, our summer garden. 

We learn so much each year.  From what we can and can't grow, what we do and don't eat, and what we especially want more of.  Ed, the first to turn his nose up at a vegetable, was all over the plans for this year, building a greenhouse in the basement to accommodate bigger seedlings.  He says this will be the year he eats a tomato, afterall, he's cared for these seedlings since February.

Black Beauty seedling, a purple heirloom tomato

And adding a fourth raised bed to our collection. The temps are supposed to spike into the 80's today, so I excitedly anticipate the growth spurt we'll see this first full week of planted seedlings.  I'm on the fourth year of asparagus roots and so far I'm getting a handful of shoots every day - the heat will really make them pop up!  Truth told,  I don't schlep all the kids out around town much these days, it's just too much. Caring for the garden this year will be a nice break in our sometimes monotonous daily routine.  


 It may not look like much yet, but give them a few weeks in the Spring sun and showers and we'll be on our way to piles of tomatoes, zucchini, squash, beans, peas, cucumbers...



And of course, my two best garden helpers :)

No comments:

Post a Comment