Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Once Upon a Potty


As if a normal day isn't busy enough, on top of painting trim - I decided to give potty training a go around today.

About a month ago, I bought a used copy of Once Upon and Potty (for her) and we've been watching it faithfully. If you haven't seen it, it's a hysterical, certainly retro, video about a little girl named Prudence that gets a potty and learns how to use it. Josie just adores Prudence and wouldn't ya know, watching that video Josie sits on her potty and does a pretty good job of going wee wee (as they say in the video...).


It's been hit or miss whether or not we have success at other times to get her to go, and to even interest her to sit on the froggy potty. She certainly isn't telling us when she has to go, nor having anyyyyyy annoyance over wet diapers.


But I went ahead anyway and planned on a day of accidents. On went the cutie bum undies, we ran around and played, set the timer to try to pee every 45 minutes. Who knew, maybe she'd be a potty super star and get it within the first hour? Or so I'd secretly hoped. Well, suffice to say, accident #2 of #2 did me in and on went the diaper. She was quite stubborn today and would not sit on the potty, not even for m&m bribes. I didn't even make it to lunch time! What a failure... but to be honest, I'm not ready nor do I really think she is. So we'll keep watching Prudence and talking about how great the potty is and give it another try in a few months.

2 comments:

  1. Go with pull-ups so accidents aren't catastrophes and work up a potty routine for EVERY DAY. Just a routine for when she goes and sits on the potty--morning, mid-morning, lunchtime etc. I'm pretty sure that's what William did at day care and we had an evening routine. I got a seat that goes on the toilet because I wasn't about to mess with a separate potty. Besides the goal was to get him to use the toilet so I figured we just needed to cut to the chase. Even so, he was three before he really got it. Once he did, though, he was dry day and night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh...in case it doesn't work out now, it will be soooo much easier to do this when the weather turns warmer!

    ReplyDelete