Tuesday, July 24, 2012

Two Peas Still in the Pod

And we're hoping they stay that way for at least two more weeks, but we'll take until at least the end of the day today.

My lovely view yesterday morning:


and this morning as they moved me to another room, I don't have exactly the same view, but it is downtown Chicago nonetheless... and that I can handle.  It looks like a stormy day in the city, a prefect day to watch the rain go by and focus on baby cooking from a hospital bed instead of the comforts of home.

I'd had a doctor appointment earlier in the week that discovered I was 1cm dilated, but my doctor said not to worry, don't change anything and to come back in a week to start up our NST and biophysicals a week ahead of schedule.  He reiterated this wasn't anything unexpected, and gave me the "hello, you're pregnant with twins" talk. But low and behold, Sunday morning rolls around and we went about our normal "quiet restful" day until mid morning when, just like in the movies, my water broke.  I knew what it was right away and wish I had a photo of what my face looked like at the time.  Surprise and then panic ensued.  A crazy whirlwind to get up to Chicago and checked in to assess the situation... has landed me here until the girls are born.

I'm near 32 weeks, which is a great milestone for identical twins. Being that close, the doctors feel it's the perfect time to get the babies ready for a moments notice delivery by administering immediate steroids (for lung maturity) and mega doses of magnesium (for brain development).  After a watchful eye on Sunday in labor and delivery, while it was evident my membranes had ruptured for baby A, it was clear I wasn't in labor and have since been moved to the antepardum floor for 24 hours surveillance.  By the end of the day today, the steroids and magnesium will have given their full potential to the babies and we'd be in good position for delivery.  Anything could change at any moment, and with the babies protection from the outside world gone (the membranes) we can't risk leaving the hospital. While I show no signs of contractions, no signs of infection - we wait.  In a bed.  In Chicago, watching the beautiful city wake and sleep - for hopefully 10-14 more days.  That would bring me awfully close to 34 weeks with babies needing minimal NICU care.  If we make it to 34 weeks, we will induce.  The risks of prolonging the pregnancy at that point outweight the risks of delivery.  So with luck, we will indeed have August birthdays :)

Josie is living the high life with Mimi, enjoying a wide variety of foods I'm sure she isn't so lucky as to have at home :)  Ed is balancing Josie, work and me and the travels up to the city - but so far (at only the 3rd day), we're doing well. 
 

2 comments:

  1. thinking of you, my friend. let me know if there is absolutely anything i can do.

    do you have my cell number? feel free to text anytime for conversation. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thinking of you, Kate, and praying for your sweet baby girls and their healthy delivery. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete