Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Halloween 2011

3, is that the age when all the holidays really come to life?  I think so.  Don't get me wrong, the first and second rounds of Christmas were fun, Easter too - but looks like round 3 of the holidays are when it really all makes sense and it's excitement all around, for all of us.

We were pretty bummed Halloween fell on a week night, a week day that I work = thus making it a rush and a wee bit stressful to insure we made the most of Halloween night. 

One thing we knew for sure, real trick or treating wasn't going to happen on our street of a mere 6 houses.  It's the one day of the year I lament living in the country.  So we quickly took our obligatory family shot on the porch before heading to our real ToT destination.


She made a cute cupcate.  Surprisingly, we only saw one other like her out of the hundred other costumes out this week!


Our real destination was downtown.  Yep, we're one of those families that drives in and mooches off of the neighborhood.  We'd considered a few locations, but downtown, right off the city square, old quaint homes with brick walkways, mature tree lined streets (sugar maples no less!), one house after another decorated for the Toter's.  Several homes with firepits roaring and music all around! Perfect. 



 I was a little worried we'd get some less than happy folks, considering we weren't neighbors - but turns out, everyone was delighted to see a cupcake at their door.  This street was and will continue to be the best ToT spot of my life, I think I enjoyed it a little too much.  Not only did I get to take a closer look at all of the cute historic homes that I drive past and admire daily, but the setting was just perfect. 


Perfect for pictures, perfect for a 3 yr old to hop out of the wagon and just a few steps to each house.  I can't tell you how many people we passed commented how smart we were to bring the wagon, must have been a novel idea to first timers ;)  The wagon did indeed save us and made it easier to hit as many houses possible before Halloween 2011 closed for the year.


I'm sure, thanks to the wagon, she never tired of hoping out and walking up to each door.  Towards the end, she caught on to the homes with spooky decor and spooky creatures out front and we had to pass those up.  This cupcake seems to be a natural at this whole Trick or Treat concept.



And while we hit the streets early, the sun was already setting.  I'd had a master plan of all the shots I wanted to get. All the sugar maple leaves strewn about the streets, sidewalks and paths - couldn't have been more picture perfect.  But in the end, the sun was setting quick, I couldn't push my iso any higher, my photos were getting blurry and I decided to live the memories instead of shoot them from behind the camera.  Best decision of the night.  Christmas, oh boy... it's going to be fun.

4 comments:

  1. Looks like she had a lot of fun! I love her costume, too -- very cute :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun!! And FYI I love the "mooches" who come in carloads to walk our street! Without them I don't think we'd have very many TorT'ers! It's all good :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. People mooch in our neighborhood too but everyone is ok with it. She was one cute cupcake!

    ReplyDelete
  4. We live out in the country too and have to go "in to town" to ToT. No one seems to mind. The people in our town LOVE Halloween. My sister and her neighbor really do it BIG... the neighbor makes his whole front yard into a "scary scene" complete with headstones and "fog". My sister makes a HUGE pot of hot cocoa and keeps it hot on the porch in a crock pot, handing out hot cocoa to parents and candy to kids. It's a great time!!! J made an ADORABLE cupcake!!!

    ReplyDelete