Tuesday, April 12, 2011

In the Dirt



This past weekend, we really got a feel for the Spring/Summer days ahead.  Our high on Sunday was 85 degrees, and it sure gave us the bug to get out and work in the yard.  We have a long list of chores, but on this particular morning Ed and Josie were seeding a few bare spots in the yard. She's quite the gardener herself, a worm lover and dirt finder :)  PSA: These croc boots are perfect for playing outside this Spring, wet grass, playing in the dirt - they wash clean and her feet stay dry!




Ed's been hard at work the last few weeks building new raised garden beds for me.  My old garden location wasn't optimal for sun exposure, but this new spot is sure to get full day sun.  Thus, I have high yield expectations on everything I plant. 





After shoveling a trailer load of fresh black dirt, and several block of peat, and a whole lot of rototilling, the beds are ready for planting. I couldn't help myself when I saw the fresh plants at Home Depot on Sunday, so a snagged a few for less than $10.  They're planted and although it's early in the season, I'm a risk taker and just going to keep my fingers crossed that they make it through the next few weeks (with some care to cover them and keep them warm) until the warm weather really comes.  Maybe I'll get a jump start on the season and be the first on the block with fresh veggies!


And with high hopes, in the ground goes my first tomato plant from seed, the heirlooms that make life perfect! Grow baby grow.  And in the event of its unfortunate freeze or demise from planting too early, I still have 20+ seedlings warm and safe in the house.




No comments:

Post a Comment